Maui is home to hundreds of beaches, including black sand beaches, golden sand beaches, red sand beaches, and ones with white sand. There are excellent beaches for swimming, snorkeling, surfing, and windsurfing. There are beaches that are great for people-watching, and others where you can be almost totally alone. If you can’t decide which one to spend the day at, consider our top 5 favorite Maui beaches
Top 5 Favorite Maui Beaches
- Ali’i Kahekili Nui Ahumanu Beach Park: The beach itself is lovely, though it does drop off quickly after entering the water. The ocean is generally calm. From the southern part of the beach, a short hike from the beach park, you can swim out to Black Rock where the snorkeling is excellent.
- D.T. Fleming Beach Park: D.T. Fleming Beach Park was chosen as the Best Beach in America 2006 by Dr. Stephen P. Leatherman aka “Dr. Beach.” Dr. Leatherman wrote, “The western shore of Maui is known for its idyllic, year-round beach weather, and Fleming’s mile-long crescent, white sand beach offers a range of activities and stunning views of nearby Molokai Island.”
- Honokowai Beach Park: This park is a favorite of locals both after work and on weekends. The beach itself is extremely narrow and rocky near shore. If you wade down to the Paki Maui Resort, there’s an opening through the coral to an area where you can swim between the two reefs. It’s well protected, generally calm, and the snorkeling is excellent.
- Ka’anapali Beach: The Ka’anapali Beach Hotel is home to one of Maui’s most famous beaches. It is a lifeguard-protected beach and is almost three miles long. Ka’anapali is the beach for activities. You can snorkel in the crystal clear water, windsurf, jet ski, parasail, or kayak. Catamaran sailing tours are constantly leaving right from the beach.
- Wailea Beach: This beach was also chosen by Dr. Beach as America’s best beach in 1999. Wailea is located in South Maui, at the Grand Wailea Resort. Wailea Beach offers excellent swimming, snorkeling in calm waters, and body surfing on a shore break that is not as punishing as some of Maui’s other beaches. The sandy bottom remains shallow inshore, and drops off slowly in the deeper water.
You can save money on your trip by spending the day at one of our top 5 favorite Maui beaches
and by reserving a cheap car rental
. If you are from out of town contact Allsave Car Rental Maui for the most reliable and least expensive compact car rentals
on the island. Call us at 808-875-9200
for a list of our available rental cars
that won’t break the bank.