Hawaii is more than sandy beaches and exciting waves. In addition to being a paradise for ocean-lovers and surfers, it’s also one of the few tropical rainforests in the United States. If you’re traveling in a rental car, you’re already equipped to experience the natural beauty of Hawaii by driving along the Road to Hana.
The Road to Hana is a 68-mile highway that connects Kahului to the town of Hana in eastern Maui. This scenic highway winds through beautiful rainforests and past scenic coastal vistas, crossing over 59 bridges and navigating around 620 curves. In the stunning tropical forests, you’ll see more shades of green than you’ve ever seen in your life, and the beauty of the ocean views cannot be overstated.
As you’re traveling through the beautiful landscape in your car rental, make sure to stop at scenic overlooks and waterfalls. Wai’anapanapa State Park, located just past the town of Hana, has stunning black sand beaches and natural arches, and is a great place to bring a picnic. In Haleakala National Park, located in the center of the island and accessible from the Road to Hana, you can visit the O’heo Gulch Pools, a series of lovely waterfalls and tranquil pools that flow into the ocean.
Here are some tips to help you get the most out of your trip on the Road to Hana:
- Start early. This road is popular with tourists, so get out early and skip the crowds. Experienced travelers recommend leaving Kihei around 6:30 a.m. in order to miss the busiest traffic. You can also travel the road backwards—instead of starting in Kahului, take your van rental through Maui’s interior to begin at Hana.
- Pack a lunch. You can augment this with banana bread from the many food stands along the Road to Hana, but restaurants are few and far between. Besides, who doesn’t love a picnic on the beach?
- Be prepared for the road. Do you get motion sickness? This is one trip where you’ll definitely want to bring along any medication you might need—the Road to Hana is full of hairpin turns.
- Remember your camera. This is one drive you’ll want to remember for years to come—check your camera’s battery and memory card to ensure you’ll be able to take pictures the entire time.
- Relax and take your time! Don’t rush along the Road to Hana. You can even spend the night in Hana, and take two days to experience the landscape’s beauty.
While you’re experiencing Hawaii’s stunning beauty, it’s always comforting to know you have a trustworthy rental car. At Allsave Car Rental Maui, we offer cheap car rentals and truck rentals along with excellent customer service to help you get the most out of your trip. Contact us at 800-875-9200 and start planning your trip to Maui’s beautiful coasts today.